Nearly 2000 kms cycled at a sedate 55 kms a day. Then off into the sky flying over the Danube. A short pause in Amsterdam and we were back in Newcastle. Our speed was probably 100 times faster.
Private ambulances, wheelchairs and three aircraft seats to myself on the plane – still not exactly comfortable. I love and I hate flying – the power and the aerodynamics that lift all those people and their bags off the ground always amazes me and the meandering rivers and mosaic of fields is awesome. But why? Why does everyone have to get everywhere so quickly?
Things people have said:
- Did you see the pandas in China? – Our 3-year-old granddaughter.
- If you need any help. Just call.
- Life’s like that. Always complications. Like busting a leg so you can give up biking for Lent.
- My friend broke his hip 5 years ago when he came off his bike on black ice. Last year he climbed 31,000 feet in one day on his bike in the Alps.
- Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
- “Oh, what a shame”. KLM stewardess who then gave us a bottle of champagne.
- You can use my car whenever you want.
- Yield not to calamity but face it boldly.
Things Pete has said:
- Ouch, that hurts. – on being thrown into an ambulance.
- Where are Jude and Astrid when you need them? – paramedic/cycling friends.
- Spam for breakfast and spam for tea. I don’t really like Spam.
- When can I get back on my bike?
- How did they get that nail in there? – on seeing the x-rays
- I now know why they call patients, patients.
- Why aren’t there 13 months in a year?
- I need lots of chocolate because I’m anaemic.
It was good to slot into our NHS. We have a fantastic health service. And the upshot? Well, the repair is a good one. There have been no complications and it’s looking like 6 weeks to weight bearing and then 4 to 6 months back to normal.
Our bikes are still in Hungary but the insurance company have assured us that they will be following us home at a more sedate pace.
And then? We are going to have another go. We have had a setback but we will get going again.
Thank you so much for all your good wishes. The world is full of good people.
“I don’t feel very much like Pooh today”, said Pooh.
“There, there”, said Piglet.” I will bring you tea and honey till you do”.
Thank you for all the tea and honey. Pete and Chris